Thursday, September 23, 2010

REGRET!

Today is the best day for me to talk about REGRET. So there are few incidents happen to me that make me feel lament about my own self decision in choosing "THIS" road of life. Spending my life here doing Petroleum Engineering is torturing me now. I couldn't say that I hate my life but I used to say 'NO' to my mom when she first offered me to do Petroleum Engineering in oversea. STUPID ME!



Now, I have to walk through this hardship life in UTP. Urgh! How I feel I can turn back my time and agree with her. PARENTS KNOW THE BEST! I made a dumb mistake. Ok, people don't jump to the conclusion. I ain't talking about my university or my program. My mission is to express how I felt about my major subjects. Here, they only offered 2 majors; either Reservoir Engineering or Drilling and Production. 

Lets flash back my study application. After finished high school, I told my parents that I really wanna do engineering but my heart said Mechanical Engineering. So, I applied for the scholarship doing Mechanical oversea which that was the first doom move I made that caused this illness. My mom told me to apply PE program instead of ME and I can further my study in the State. But because of lack in knowledge and more on stereotype kind of mind, I said no to her offer and my reason was simple "Petroleum Engineering is too harsh for a girl and it's just not suit me". Hell-O I made that statement. STUPID ME!

So I got an offer to do Mechanical in UTP instead, but after my foundation, I found out that I wanna try Petroleum Engineering so I left ME and pursuit my degree in PE. Actually I never had any regret feelings about my decision to join the upstream business of oil and gas till today. OK, to make clear, I don't mind to do Petroleum but kinda frustrating for me to study it here in UTP. Since I'm in the 2nd batch of the program so we are like the 'lab rat' in the department.

I chose Drilling and Production as my major because I can't stand the work task done by the Reservoir Engineers in the office. I'm totally not an indoor type of person, I like to move around. Oppsss! haha. But I think it doesn't matter how hard the subject is but with an adequate source of references and good guidance from the lecturers and tutors would really help much for me to understand the course. Unfortunately I didn't get those here. I love petroleum engineering but doing it like this would just only enfeeble my interest to be a UTP student.

Hurm whining, complaining, doubting aren't really helping me. I think I just have to live with this mistake and regretful decision till I graduate. I just have to start my own new skills and motivations to be the best among the best! I wish I had say 'yes' to my Mom ;( Anyway, regret is still a still regret, make it in a positive way, learn from the mistakes made to make a better decision in the future.




So long :)

2 comments:

  1. Please describe about jobs and life as a petroleum engineer.... I've interested to do that but i need more information....

    ReplyDelete
  2. urm, what do you want to know about this field? To be honest I'm still struggling in my final semester now but I don't think you should stop there. If you think you have the passion of being a petroleum engineer, then I say you have a wise mind and heart. hihi. Ok, I've spent 8 months in the industry and I think this is the right choice that I made. Petroleum engineer is all about subsurface, uncertainties, technologies and these are where the challenges come in. I can't elaborate more on the life of a Petroleum Engineer but it depends on the working style of the companies. Some may have balance working life some may not. You may think Mechanical, Chemical, Civil etc can be a petroleum engineer too, yeah it's true but studying PE for degree will make you a better petroleum engineer when analytical mind (why this happen? how this happen? Can it be this way?) comes into play, we are a better player. I've experienced this during my internship. So friend, feel like doing PE, just go for IT! :) all the best to you

    ReplyDelete

feel free to drop few words! Thank you